Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Maid Service! (Slow Cooker Recipe)

I just had to get to my computer to post another recipe. I get so excited when we try something new and we all LOVE it! And when the recipe is easy and inexpensive, it’s even better. And, just when I didn’t think a recipe could be any more desirable – I cooked it in the crock-pot while I was gone all day. When I came home, it was like coming home to maid service! We just added a nice loaf of fresh bread (thanks to my wonderful bread machine) and some sliced fruit to fill out our meal. I hope you enjoy the soup as much as we did.

Split-Pea and Parsnip Soup

Ingredients:

1 small onion, diced
2 parsnips, peeled and sliced into half moons
1 T olive oil
1 1-lb bag of dried split peas, rinsed and drained
6 C vegetable broth
1 tspn dried, ground thyme
1 bay leaf

Preparation:

In a small skillet, saut̩ the onion and parsnips in olive oil until the onion is soft Рabout 5 minutes.
Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove bay leaf before serving.

Our personal preference was to serve this with pumpernickel bread and fresh apples. It is such a nice time of year to eat apples and we are enjoying the bountiful varieties! I never knew an apple was actually juicy until we visited an orchard this autumn! What a difference it makes to eat them fresh off of the tree!

No comments: